After defeating the Rebel skirmishers at Tunnel Hill, Army of the Cumberland Commander George Thomas [US] decided to probe Rocky Face. He felt "Buzzard's Roost" was too heavily fortified so he sent troops under "Fighting Joe" Hooker [US] to Dug Gap, 2.5 miles south of Mill Creek. On the afternoon of May 8, 1864, Major General John W. Geary [US] ordered troops under his command to advance and attack a well entrenched Confederate line behind a stone wall.
The Rebels, under the command of Lieutenant General William J. Hardee [CS] outnumbered at times by ten to one, had spent 5 months preparing for the attack. Not only had the wall been constructed, but a number of large boulders had been propped up at the top of the gap. As Geary's men advanced the Confederate defenders released the boulders, killing many soldiers and demoralizing the rest. A second attack at the same spot later in the day was repulsed when the Rebels were reinforced by General Hiram Granbury's infantry brigade.
The park contains over 1200 feet of the original stone wall the Confederates built between November, 1863 and May, 1864 in a 2.5 acre park. Adventurous souls may decide to venture further up the mountain from the park and see the Rebel entrenchments that line the crest of Rocky Face.
Other Attractions in Dalton
Relief Map at Dalton
Crown Gardens & Archives
Dalton W&A Depot
Dalton Cemetery (West Hill)
Joseph E. Johnston Statue
Allatoona Pass Battlefield
Fort McAllister State Park
Point Park, Lookout Mountain
Kettle Creek battlefield
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park