Type:Welcome Center, Fort
Visitors to Watkinsville who are looking for information will get a little more than they bargained for when they stop by Eagle Tavern opposite the Oconee County Courthouse near the center of town. This inn/tavern/stagecoach stop has been restored to look the way a frontier tavern might have looked in early 19th century Georgia. However, it is currently believed that the inn may have been a fort during the 1700's. Upon entering we were greeted by a woman in period dress.
She explained that the tavern in its present form had been built in 1820 along a stagecoach route that carried students north to the University of Georgia. The tavern was a popular stop with the students, and gained somewhat of a reputation.
It is possible that a blockhouse occupied the site prior to 1750, making this the furthest west any settlers had pushed from any of the 13 colonies, however, the staff believes that the fort prior to the tavern was perhaps built in 1789. Whatever the date of construction, Eagle Tavern was the first building west of the Oconee River in Georgia. An intermediate building probably existed on the site, incorporating at least part of the old fort.
When the tavern opened in 1820, Watkinsville was the seat of government for Clarke County. The building was spared the torch on Sherman's March to the Sea.
In 1956 the owner deeded the property to the state.
Other Attractions in Watkinsville
Elder's Mill Covered Bridge
Welcome Center Listing
Fort Yargo State Park
Fort McAllister State Park
Old Fort Jackson