Today the home that sits on the corner of Powder Springs Road and Calloway Road in Marietta, Georgia, is better known not for the construction or restoration, but for the battle that occured in the vicinity of the house in 1864, The Battle of Kolb's Farm
Built by Peter Valentine Kolb in 1836 the Kolb House today sits at the southern end of the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. The building, while still a farmhouse, reflects an opulent lifestyle unusual for this area in 1836.
The architect of the building is unknown. It is a relatively rare example of Georgia frontier indigenous vernacular architecture. The one-story home features a gabled roof and a porch across the rear. It was originally a "dog-trot" cabin, but the area was enclosed and covered with clapboard before the Civil War. Among the noted features are a stone stoop, sidelights and transom on the entrance, rear porch and four end chimneys.
The home is rectangular with a 3-bay front and attic. It's central hall (the "dog-trot") opens to four rooms, two on each side. There have been several additions.
The home was restored to its 1864 condition by the National Park Service in 1964.
Other Attractions in Marietta
Marietta National Cemetery
Marietta Confederate Cemetery
Gone With The Wind Movie Museum
The Big Chicken
Harry's Farmers Market
Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art
Marietta Museum of History
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
Marietta Square (Glover Park)
Elisha Winn House
Margaret Mitchell House
Chieftains Musuem / Major Ridge Home