New Echota State Park
County:Gordon
City:Calhoun
Type:State Park, Native American, Museum
Today the city of New Echota stands as silent testimony to Georgia's Cherokee Nation, which at one time controlled the land from the Ohio River Valley to the Chattahoochee River Valley. When the idea of a capital city was conceived, in a nationalistic movement during the 1820's, it was done in an attempt to preserve what little remained of the nation from the intrusions of the state of Georgia and the United States of America.

Trail of Tears monument at New Echota State Park
Cherokee Trail of Tears Monument at New Echota State Park, Calhoun, Georgia
Our tour of New Echota begins with a visit to the monument to the Cherokee Nation, which was forced to travel west from Georgia to their new home (present-day Oklahoma) on the Trail Of Tears. Then its on to the visitors center, where a museum tells the story of New Echota and the Cherokee removal. Inside the museum are exhibits on building New Echota, the Georgia gold rush, and the Trail of Tears. At this point visitors get to walk on the streets of the capital city of the Cherokee Nation.

History of New Echota

The site of New Echota is part of a much larger area that was once the Cherokee Hunting Grounds. By the start of the 19th century (1800) the game had been depleted and the hunting grounds had moved further west. There is archeological evidence that earlier villages had occupied the site before the Cherokee occupation of New Echota in 1819. At the confluence of the Coosawattee and Conasauga Rivers (where they form the Oostanaula River) and Town Creek, the city had three good water sources. Water was not only necessary for survival, it played a key role in the Cherokee ceremonies.

While the names of the earlier villages have been lost to time, the name New Echota is commonly ascribed the meaning "New Town," which is the name given the area by settlers. In fact, the area around the state park is still known as "Newtown" or "New Town." Chota was the name of two Cherokee villages, one in White County, Georgia, on the northern end of the Chattahoochee River, the other in Tenneessee, near Fort Loudon. The area was also known as "The Fork" and "Fork Ferry" by the settlers and Gansagi by the Cherokee (this is possibly the name of the earlier Cherokee village).

By 1823 the Cherokee Nation was meeting in New Echota. Its central location and easy access made the city an excellent choice for the capital. On November 12, 1825, New Echota was officially designated capital of the Cherokee Nation. At that time the tribal council also commenced a building program that included construction of a two-story council house, a Supreme Court, and later the office of the Cherokee Phoenix.

In 1832 Georgia's Sixth Land Lottery had given away the Cherokee land to settlers. There was one small problem: the Cherokee Nation had never ceded the land to the state. Over the next 6 years the brutal Georgia Guard would enforce their own brand of vigilante justice to the Cherokee. By 1834 the city of New Echota was becoming a ghost town, and the council meetings were moved to Red Clay, Cherokee Nation (now Tennessee). In 1835, a small group (300-500 Cherokee known as Ridgeites or the Treaty Party) signed the Treaty of New Echota in the home of Elias Boudinot.

In 1838 the U. S. Army, under the command of Winfield Scott, began the forced removal of the Cherokee from the state of Georgia. A Cherokee removal fort was located here, known as Fort Winfield Scott or Fort New Echota. The fort held Cherokee prisoners from Gordon and Pickens County, and as the prisoners began their exodus to Rattlesnake Springs, Cherokee Nation (4 miles south of Charleston, Tennessee), the Cherokee from counties south and east of the area also were housed here.

After the Cherokee left, the capital remained abandoned for more than 100 years. Some of the houses continued to be used, most notibly the home of Samuel Worcester. When the citizens of Gordon County deeded the land to the state for preservation the Worcester home, largest remaining structure, had been vacant for two years and the wear of the elements in that brief time was apparent. In 1954 archeologists Lewis Larsen and Joe Caldwell begin the step by step process of finding out more about the land given to the state, with the intent of preserving the site.

In addition to the standard finds, Larsen and Caldwell astonished the world by discovering much of the type used to print the Cherokee Phoenix, plus remains of many of the buildings. On March 13, 1957, following the news of Larsen and Caldwell's archeological finds, the state of Georgia authorized that the town of New Echota be rebuilt, as a Georgia State Park.

Visiting the Cherokee Capital of New Echota

There are many highlights within the village of New Echota. The Council House, where the laws of the Cherokee Nation were enacted, to the Supreme Court, where the laws of the nation were enforced. Both are open to visitors. Another highlight are the offices of the Cherokee Phoenix, where Buck Oolwatie (Elias Boudinot) wrote and a white printer laid out the first Native American newspaper. Further on is the home of Samuel Worcestor, The Messenger, a missionary who brought the word of God to the Cherokee.

The three-quarter mile walk can be expanded by walking the Newtown Trail, a 1.2 mile interpreted trail that takes hikers to Town Creek, where the majority of Cherokee camped when the Council was in session.

Location: Just east of I-75 on Georgia 225.
Directions: From I-75, exit 317, take GA-225 (The James Vann Highway) north for .5 miles. New Echota is on the right
Additional information:
Cost: Modest fee charged
Time: Allow 2 hours to visit; add half-an-hour to hike New Echota's Newtown Trail
Web site: New Echota
Address:
1211 Chatsworth Hwy. N.E.,
Calhoun, Georgia 30701
Phone: (706)624-1321
Date added: May 1, 2004
Last update: May 3, 2004


State Park Listing
Fort Yargo State Park
Watson Mill Bridge State Park
Fort McAllister State Park
Red Top Mountain State Park
Etowah Indian Mounds State Park
Wormsloe Plantation
Dahlonega Gold Museum
Native American Listing
Ocmulgee Indian Mounds
Etowah Indian Mounds State Park
Funk Heritage Center
Museum Listing
Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History
Southeastern Railroad Museum
Gone With The Wind Movie Museum
Lee and Gordon's Mill
Margaret Mitchell House
The Cyclorama
Union County Courthouse Museum
Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art
Kennesaw Civil War Museum
Chieftains Musuem / Major Ridge Home
Rome Area History Museum
The Martha Berry Museum
Crown Gardens & Archives
Allatoona Lake Visitor's Center
Roselawn Museum
Marietta Museum of History
Barnsley Gardens
Etowah Indian Mounds State Park
Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum
Georgia Music Hall of Fame
Carter Library and Museum
Dahlonega Gold Museum
Funk Heritage Center


Interesting Places in Georgia by type of site
Interesting Places in Georgia by city
Interesting Places in Georgia by name
Interesting Places in Georgia (main index)

Roadside Georgia logo
Travel Now

 Reserve a room!
  Atlanta
  Savannah
  Rome
  Chattanooga
Rent a Car
Book a Flight





Order 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Atlanta

Add a link to this page from your web page?
Front | Roadside | Cities | Counties | Interstates
National Register | Links | Places | Features | Gallery | Tours
Search | Feedback


Innovative by design©
Golden Ink
Legal notice
Privacy Policy