Historic Squares of Savannah
County:Chatham
City:Savannah
Type:Roadside
When James Oglethorpe and Colonel William Bull laid out Savannah, they included squares -- not for beauty, as a visitor to Savannah might think today, but as a military training ground.

Tythings Wards
Percival - For Lord Percival
Heathcote - George Heathcote MP
Derby Earl of Derby, patron
Decker Sir Matthew Decker, benefactor
When the colonists arrived they were fully aware that their job was building and defending the colony of Georgia. To this end, Oglethorpe created a militia known as the "Tythings" headed by Peter Gordon. Each of the original four districts of militia had a square on which to train.

The first square was named Johnson Square, in honor of South Carolina governor Robert Johnson, who greeted James Oglethorpe when The Ann docked in Charleston, and gave aid and assistance to the colonists, mostly in the form of Colonel William Bull, who accompanied Oglethorpe, Gordon and others as they explored for a suitable location for the new colony of Georgia. In the center of Johnson Square is a monument in memory of General Nathaniel Greene, renown commander of the Southern Department during the Revolutionary War. On the square's perimeter is Christ Church. Bull St. and St. Julian.

Wright Square was originally named for Lord Percival, who is generally regarded as the man who gave the colony of Georgia its name. Renamed in 1763, it is the second square to exist. James Wright was the most successful royal governors to oversee the colony of Georgia. At the center of this square is a monument to William Washington Gordon, perhaps best known today as the grandfather of Juliet Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Guides (Girl Scouts). He was president of the Central of Georgia Railroad. On the perimeter of Wright Square is the Post Office, the old county courthouse and the Lutheran Church of the Ascension. Bull St. and President St.

Ellis Square, which was one of the original squares laid out by Oglethorpe in 1733 remained little more than "open space" during much of its 160 years of existance. In 1954, the city market, which had operated here, leased the square for 50 years and built a parking garage. City Market is adjacent to the square. Barnard and St. Julian.

Telfair Square is last of the "first four" squares. Oglethorpe named this St. James Square, after a noted London greenspace. On its perimeter is the Telfair Museum and Trinity United Methodist Church. Barnard at President.


Location: Downtown Savannah
Directions: Take I-16 to exit 167 (Montgomery St. / Savannah / Civic Ctr / Downtown). This is the end of I-16. The road merges with Montgomery St. Almost immediately turn right on Liberty St. and take it to Drayton (.2 miles). Turn left and continue for .2 miles. Turn left on President St. Wright Square will be directly in front of you.
Additional information:

Date added: January 4, 2004
Last update: January 6, 2004

Other Attractions in Savannah
Fort Pulaski
Bonaventure Cemetery
Old Fort Jackson
Wormsloe Plantation
Cockspur Lighthouse
Tybee Depot

Roadside Listing
Track Rock
Rock Eagle Effigy Mound
Big Red Apple
Georgia Guidestones
Rock City
Wilder Tower
Babyland General Hospital
Clock Tower
Stonepile Gap
Moon's Station
Etowah River Bridge
Cooper's Iron Works
Cass Station
Oostanaula River Bridge
Fort Norton
John B. Gordon Hall
Relief Map at Ringgold
Relief Map at Dalton
Resaca Map
Noble Brothers Foundry
Kennesaw House
The Big Chicken
Coca-Cola bottle at Turner Field
Cagle's Dairy
World of Coca Cola
Skylift at Stone Mountain Park
Market House


Interesting Places in Georgia by type of site
Interesting Places in Georgia by city
Interesting Places in Georgia by name
Interesting Places in Georgia (main index)

Roadside Georgia logo
Travel Now

 Reserve a room!
  Atlanta
  Savannah
  Rome
  Chattanooga
Rent a Car
Book a Flight





Order 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Atlanta

Add a link to this page from your web page?
Front | Roadside | Cities | Counties | Interstates
National Register | Links | Places | Features | Gallery | Tours
Search | Feedback


Innovative by design©
Golden Ink
Legal notice
Privacy Policy